August Rewind: Plenary Videos from the C40 Mayors Summit
During the month of August, we’ll be sharing a selection of highlights from 2014 thus far. Please enjoy our August Rewind – we’ll be back with more news in September.
In February, mayors, city officials, urban experts and representatives of international organisations and multilateral agencies from around the world convened at the C40 Mayors Summit in Johannesburg to advance the global leadership of cities taking climate action, as well as highlight results and address barriers.
Throughout the three-day Summit, many of the mayors and international delegates participated in six informative and engaging plenary sessions, which we captured on video.
You can watch the plenary sessions here, and find descriptions below.
- Plenary Session 1: C40 Cities are Taking Measurable Action to Combat Climate Change & Release of the Climate Action In Megacities 2.0 Report presented by Mark Watts, Executive Director of C40, who then moderated a discussion including C40 Chair, Mayor of Rio de Janeiro Eduardo Paes and Andrew Steer President & CEO, World Resources Institute.
- Plenary Session 2: City Leadership and the International Climate Agenda presented by Christiana Figueres, Executive Secretary, UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, and followed by a discussion including experts such as Michael Bloomberg, C40 Board President and 108th Mayor of New York.
- Plenary Session 3: Climate Proofing the World’s Megacities: Building Adaptable and Livable Cities featuring Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb, Addis Ababa Mayor Debira Kuma, Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter, Venice Mayor Giorgio Orsoni, Rome Mayor Ignazio Marino and moderator Adam Freed, Director Global Securing Water, The Nature Conservancy.
- Plenary Session 4: Healthier, Wealthier Cities: Linking Growth, Prosperity & Livability featuring a discussion between mayors and Hon. Minister Trevor A. Manuel, MP Minister and Chairperson of the National Planning Commission, South Africa.
- Plenary Session 5: Smart Planning & Infrastructure: Building Intelligent, Livable Cities & Neighbourhoods featuring Cutitiba Mayor Gustavo Fruet, Portland Mayor Charlie Hales, Mexico City Mayor Miguel Ángel Mancera, Milan Mayor Guiliano Pisapia and moderator Rodrigo Rosa, Special Advisor to the Chair of C40.
- Plenary Session 6: Setting Achievable and Actionable Targets for Urban Sustainability presented by Dr. Joan Clos, Executive Director of UN Human Settlements Programme and followed by a panel discussion with Mayor Paes and Executive Mayor Mpho Parks Tau of Johannesburg.
To watch the plenary sessions, click here.